Applications are now open AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program 2019/20 in Japan.
The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program is a capacity building project by the AfDB and Japan which was initiated in 2017 with the aim of providing two-year scholarship awards to highly achieving African graduate students to enable them to undergo post-graduate studies (i.e. a two-year Master’s degree program) in selected priority development areas on the continent and Japan. The overarching goal the AfDB and the Government of Japan seek to attain is to enhance skills and human resources development in Africa in under the Bank’s High 5s agenda (i.e. “Feed Africa”, “Light up Africa”, “Industrialize Africa”, “Integrate Africa” and “Improve the quality of life of the people of Africa”) and key Japanese development assistance initiatives. JADS core areas of study focus include energy, agriculture, health, environmental sustainability, and engineering. The program also seeks to promote inter-university collaboration and university-industry partnerships between Japan and Africa. Upon completion of their studies, the JADS scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and disseminate their newly acquired knowledge and skills in the public and private sectors, and contribute to national and continental socio-economic development.
The JADS Program is open to applicants from AfDB member countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a graduate degree program in energy development and related discipline. The program does not provide scholarships to any other graduate degree program.
Upon completion of their studies, the beneficiary scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and disseminate their newly acquired knowledge and skills, and contribute to the promotion of sustainable development of their countries.
The scholarship program provides-
- A monthly living stipend
- Round-trip airfare
- Health insurance
- Travel allowance.
For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship. Please note all JADS scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
- The program is open to those who have gained admission to an approved Masters degree course at a Japanese partner university. Candidates should be 35 years old or younger; in good health; with a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the energy area or related area; and have a superior academic record. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to return to their home country to contribute to its economic and social development
- Be a national of an AfDB member country;
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 years prior to the application deadline date;
- Have 1 years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
*Please note: All eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made. Eligibility criteria will not change during an open call for applications. However, this information is subject to change between the close of one application process and the opening of the next.
Eligible Regions: AfDB member country
- Applicant completes JADS application form from the Apply Now link
- Applicant sends documents (application form, university transcripts and certificate, CV, professional references and research proposal), to the JADS Secretariat for first screening through JADS@AFDB.ORG
- JADS Secretariat sends shortlist of candidates to selected Japanese universities
- Universities does second screening and share selected students with JADS Secretariat
- JADS Secretariat recommends awardees based on its selection criteria to the Japanese Executive Director for approval.
- AfDB contacts selected awardees, and informs partner universities
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019 (13 Days Remaining)